Q: What if I am presently in the United States without documentation?

A: Contrary to popular belief, being undocumented in the United States does not always leads to a 3 or 10 year ban. We are happy to do an intake with you to explore your options. You may fall into the exceptions, such as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), or more. Contact us today.

Q: Under what circumstance will a foreign spouse's permanent resident status in the U.S. be conditional?                                                  

A: A spouse's permanent resident status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old from the day the permanent resident status was granted. To remove the conditions, the spouse must establish that the purpose of the marriage was not to evade the U.S. immigration laws.

Q: Under what circumstance will a foreign fiance(e), who has been admitted into the U.S. for the purpose of getting married, be required to leave  the  U.S.?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              A: If the marriage to the U.S. citizen who filed the petition to permit the fiance(e) into the U.S. does not take place within 90 days of entering the U.S., the fiance(e) will be required to leave the country.

Q: Can a fee for immigration related services be waived?

A: Yes. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) bureau has discretion to waive a filing fee if the applicant can establish that he or she is unable to pay. In order to have the USCIS consider waiving a fee, the applicant must follow specific instructions, including completion of a form for review by the USCIS.

Q: What visa options are available for temporary stays?

A: If you plan to come to the United State for a brief time or seek entry for a certain amount of time, you need a non-immigrant visa such as a student visa or a business investor visa. If you are looking to simply come for a visit for something such as a vacation or visiting family, you will need a travel visa.

Contact The Owusu Law Firm

For your convenience, evening and weekend meetings can be arranged upon request. To set up a free initial consultation, email us. Se habla Español.